Name:
Location: Kalona, Iowa, United States

Husband and Wife wedding and lifestyle photographers based in Iowa.

    follow me on Twitter

    21 July 2008

    What I did yesterday...

    Early Monday morning, about 5:00am, which I had often heard about but rarely experience, I awoke to the sound of vicious rain pounding on our windows, accompanied by constant lightning, and apparently some small hail.  After leaping into the early stages of panic, and quickly assessing the situation on weather.com, I proceeded to try to get a glimpse out the window as to what all was going on.  I did notice that several branches in our spacious and beautiful backyard were not as they should be, and I figured that I would have some chain-sawing to do, which I enjoy on occasion.  What turned out to be a "very severe thunderstorm with up to 100mph winds" but "not a tornado" ripped through our backyard and several of our neighbors properties this morning, and when I went to survey the damage, we had 9 trees down.  **click here for video**Most of these trees were mature hackberry and/or oak trees, and they were 80 years large.  So, needless to say, we needed some help.  

    We placed a memo on the hotline at our church, and before too long there were people rolling in with chain-saws, tractors, and helping hands.  What should have taken me a month took just one day.  I was AMAZED at how fast and efficiently everyone worked... it was awesome.

    Anyway, I hope to be back on the blog with a few seniors this week, plus some awesome shots from Megan and Bob's wedding in Davenport.  We really had a great time with them!

    later


    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW!! What a mess! That is amazing that so many people showed up to help out. We had a storm like that here in Omaha a month ago and people are still trying to clean up! Thank God for taking care of the family and house!
    Jackie

    4:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow! We had 1 like that in 1998, right?
    One more reason I don't miss Iowa! lol!

    7:00 PM  
    Blogger IC Pixx said...

    Just checking your blog for inspiration and was shocked by the damage you guys had! How sad to see those beautiful trees down. Thank God it doesn't look like your home or studio suffered damage and you are all safe. Keep your great positive attitudes! (Jackie J. in Iowa City)

    10:45 PM  
    Blogger Nicole 妮可 said...

    dude, i have only one word.
    INTENSE!
    i'm glad to see piano is still in tact, tho sorry the sweet little trampoline is crushed...
    love you guys!

    8:04 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home