Name:
Location: Kalona, Iowa, United States

Husband and Wife wedding and lifestyle photographers based in Iowa.

    follow me on Twitter

    09 June 2009

    Us.

    June 9, 2001.

    Our family and friends were seated on white folding chairs in what is now our backyard. I stood at the front of the crowd in my rented tux and waited for her.

    The breeze was gently blowing the fresh green leaves, and the ropes of tuling that led from the parking lot to the chairs. There was soft music playing, candles flickering in the breeze and the smell of tiki torches burning as I watched the 1940's era Dodge, driven by Jodi's parents, drive in behind the guests.

    In that car was the love of my life.

    *flashback* We met at Rosedale Bible College in Ohio, during a volleyball game, introduced by a mutual friend, and thus began a casual friendship. Over heated games of ping-pong, and volleyball tournaments, we continued to seek out each other's company until it was time to make a decision. I was from Pennsylvania. She lived in Iowa. I was leaving school, and she was staying for another term. Would "we" be something we would pursue... something that would stand the test of living 956 miles apart? or would we write it off as a special friendship, and go our separate ways. We agreed that we would give it a try with God's help, and if it was meant to be, it would be.

    3 months went by before I saw her again. I knew then that this would be much more difficult than I thought.

    Over the course of the next 17 months we took turns flying out to visit each other, looking forward to the day when we wouldn't have to leave each other again. Finally, after seeking the counsel of older, Godly people for wisdom, I made a phone call.

    I secretly flew to Kalona on a Saturday morning in early November 2000, arriving that night. Jodi's brother Jed met me at the airport, and her dad met me at Jed's house. Jodi's father and I spent the evening at a restaurant having a good time and talking about life. At the end of the evening, Jodi's dad looked across the table and said the words I couldn't wait to hear... "Yes, you can marry Jodi!" Meanwhile, Jodi was calling my parents at home trying to figure out where I was, and why I couldn't come to the phone for 2 days! I flew home Sunday afternoon again, and called Jodi to let her know I was okay, and to arrange for us to meet back at college to visit some of our friends who were still there.

    Long story short, we revisited the spot of our first date, and I asked her to be my bride. :)

    *flashforward*
    She was absolutely stunning as she got out of the car and walked down the aisle to meet me with her parents by her side. I can't quite put it into words, but I'll never forget how she looked at me as she came closer and closer, and how it felt to hear the pastor say "I now pronounce you husband and wife".


    I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.


    Jodi... you are the most amazing person I've ever met, and you mean the world to me... I'm a total loser without you. You bring out the best in me, and I love being with you. There's no one else I would rather share my life with. You were my best friend then, and still are today. The economy can go to pot, but my love for you never will.





    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awww. Congratulations, you two! Kristi

    9:55 AM  
    Anonymous Althea said...

    Happy Anniversary! You do make a great team!

    10:36 AM  
    Anonymous Nikki Gerot said...

    Happy Anniversary! You two are the most amazing couple ever!! Congrats, and thank you for making our weekend so special as well :)

    11:19 AM  
    Anonymous j said...

    Awww. what a sweet story! Cheers to many more years!!

    5:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and feelings Rodney! Yes, you two are amazing and it has been a tru joy knowing both of you and wathching your love and family grow. God Bless both of you now and forever.

    Linda

    10:04 PM  
    Anonymous hannah said...

    wow! how truly beautiful is the life of you two. God definitely knows what he's doing! you're both wonderful!

    12:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home