Name:
Location: Kalona, Iowa, United States

Husband and Wife wedding and lifestyle photographers based in Iowa.

    follow me on Twitter

    01 November 2007

    A Bit About Us...

    I would suggest that you go make some coffee or grab a glass of tea and settle in for this interview. It's been fun answering your questions! Here's to you....


    What is the best and/or worst part about being a photographer?

    J: As a self employed photographer in a home studio, we can't ever leave the business. The best part about it is meeting new people.

    R: The worst part is working 18 hr days and weekends all summer and fall. The best part is making people smile. Really, the bad parts aren't all that bad.

    Rodney, if the Cowboys were wiped off the face of the earth what NFL team would you root for? Probably, the Steelers or Green Bay until Brett Favre retires.



    “What’s one of your most memorable life experiences?”

    J: My wedding day! It was in the backyard at my house, and it was amazing! We now live in that very same house!

    R: Yikes. Probably when my family went on a vacation in Pennsylvania, and we rented the "largest" of the four available cabins. When we got there, we realized that the "largest" cabin was really no bigger than a one car garage. I slept on the porch, Jodi slept in the kitchen (we were still dating), and my 2 brothers and my parents were in the only bedroom. It was hilarious! We hiked, and swam and had a blast anyway. We still laugh about it when we're together today, 8 years later. Then when we returned home, we discovered that my grandpa had died the day after we left for vacation and nobody could find us...not even the police. I know...sad ending to a good story, but sometimes life happens that way.



    “What’s your favorite holiday?”

    J: Christmas, because of the nostalgia and family and festivities...but I hate the high expectations.

    R: Thanksgiving. Family...Food...Football... and no pressure to give gifts! Easter has the most meaning of them all, though.

    “What’s your favorite thing to do with your kids?”

    J: Snuggle up with them in bed in the mornings.

    R: I love riding dirtbike with them. I tell myself that they are screaming because they're having fun! Seriously, they love it.



    Why do you have a cutoff date for seniors? Do you take the winter off? Do you just not want to go out in the snow? What if someone calls and wants senior portraits?

    R & J: We have a cutoff date for seniors because we had 31 weddings over a one-year span, and we only took 30 seniors so that we could keep up. If a senior calls, we will refer them.

    How many hours from start to finish do you put into a wedding/senior package?
     
    J:
    Weddings: 30-40 hrs total including making an album. Seniors take about 10 hrs total.



    In 10 years where do you hope to be with your business?

    J: In a new studio, for one! :) Maybe have a few more employees.

    R: I would love to start including high end video with our wedding packages. I'm a fan of Cinematic Bride and someday we'd love include something like that with our wedding packages. Do yourself a favor and click the link...it's amazing. I'd love to do the video or the editing, but we'll see. Ultimately, we want to be wherever God wants us, and if that still includes photography in 10 years, we'll be there.

    I would love to know what cameras you prefer & why?

    J: We love the results we get from Canon.



    When did you know you wanted to do this, did you take any courses or learn as you went?

    J: When we first got married, my top three choices of a career were 1) Photography, 2) Interior Decorating or 3) Massage Therapy. Rodney didn't want me to do Massage Therapy, and I liked photography better than Interior Decorating. So, I bought a good camera and 6 years later...here we are!! We are in our local and national associations and we make it a point to do some sort of education each year.

    R: I knew I wanted to do this because I was in construction and starting to despise going to work. So, in the fall of 04, I started out part-time working at home, and I enjoyed it more every day...the more I learned, the more I loved the job, so finally I had no choice but to come home full-time. I took two, week-long, Photoshop classes at MAIPP from Don Emmerich a PS master, and that gave me the basics for what I do today.


    --------INTERMISSION----------


    Our Favorite part of this past year: Our trips to Africa, and Denver CO.

    The best advice we've ever been given:

    J: "Don't marry someone you could live with, find someone you can't live without." -Dad., & "If you want to be rich, count the things that money can't buy." -Larry Peters

    R: "There is nothing so great in life, that it is worth losing your integrity." -Mom. & "We are all just one decision away from regret." -Mick Murray

    Our favorite TV shows: R & J: The Office, The Simpsons and football on Sunday afternoons.

    Our prediction for the next President of U.S.: Hillary Clinton. (We sure hope we're wrong.)



    One thing we'll never do:

    J & R: Get divorced.

    If we had a $1000 gift certificate to any ONE store, where would we go?:

    J: Hobby Lobby!

    R: Amazon.com

    If we have to share the $1000...we'd chose the Apple Store.

    Things we love:

    J: Getting a massage, Potato Soup from Panera Bread! and Peanut Butter Pie

    R: Golf, mowing the lawn, Making music, going to concerts, finding cash in my jeans

    Things we hate:

    J: When the car keys aren't hung in their proper place,

    R: Bragging, and Halloween lawn decorations...all of which are tacky, lame and generally obnoxious.



    This annoys us:

    J: Credit card companies, deceitful salesmen, and it's annoying that I don't lose weight by NOT working out.:)

    R: Loud eaters, any sort of repeated clicking noise, and hiccups.

    The worst possible job would be: R & J: One you dread getting up and going to every day.

    The best possible job would be: R & J: One you love getting up and going to!

    Our favorite kind of jeans are:

    J & R: One's that fit. We stopped caring about brands right after we got a mini-van. "Cool" has left the building.:)

    We would love to meet:

    J: Beth Moore, Jeff and Julia Woods

    R: Louie Giglio, David Jay, and Martin Smith (I met him once, but i was too intimidated to talk. I want a second chance:) He also stood on my head...seriously. You would be intimidated too. HA!! He's a singer...I was in the front row...he stood on my head)

    What's playing on our (iPod)?: The Almost, Delirious, Switchfoot, Lifehouse, David Crowder*Band, Coldplay, Anberlin, Beatles, Blindside, Rascal Flatts, TobyMac, U2, 30 Seconds to Mars, Norah Jones, and various kids' CD's.



    Congratulations if you made it all the way to the end!! Thanks for letting us be part of your lives!
    With much appreciation to you all, and special thanks to our Family & Children's photographer, Hannah, for the pictures!
    R&J

    Labels:

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for all the info. It was interesting! You two work well together. :) Kristi

    6:17 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I loved finally seeing pictures of you guys and your cute little kids--don't get to see them enough :) So glad that you guys love what you're doing, since you're so good at it!

    6:28 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is awesome! I'm glad you posted this...lets others know your real people too. ;) It struck me funny how you (Jodi) wanted to be a photographer, I.D., or M.T. Those are EXACTLY the things I concidered as well. Funny how God puts situations and people in your lives at just the right times! You guys are great, and it is a pleasure working with you. I'm super excited for the future of gp.

    6:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those pictures are soo awesome, and I just love the "introview"! Jackson has grown so much, and I would love to meet your little girl. She's beautiful. I wish you all lived out here to take our family's pictures.....

    9:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    *Edited to say:
    I actually got my degree in Interior Decorating before I moved out here to Montana. ;) Prefer photography sooo much more!

    9:27 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow! I love the interview and I LOVE the photos!!
    Allison Bontrager

    2:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home