Name:
Location: Kalona, Iowa, United States

Husband and Wife wedding and lifestyle photographers based in Iowa.

    follow me on Twitter

    25 September 2007

    On a personal note...

    Due to the following post, Jordan and Thad will be posted tomorrow....

    Rarely, on this blog, do I allow insight into our personal lives, because I know that most, if not all, of you are here for pictures and that's the whole point of the blog in the first place. However, there are certain occasions where it is very difficult to make sense of things, and it feels good to air it out.
    On Monday, I had the opportunity to play piano at the funeral of a local high school senior girl, who at 18 years young, committed suicide. I didn't know her or her family personally, but I can't say that my life wasn't affected. As I played music, over 500 people and most/all of the high school filed in to remember a life full of so much potential and so much to celebrate that was cut short by the very person who had it all.
    The part that hit me the most is that this girl is a "client" of ours. She didn't come to us for senior pictures, but every year in late summer/early fall, we take pictures of senior girls and guys just like her. In 2007 America, the standard is to ignore problems hoping they will go away, and to "mind our own business" and not ask questions. But I wonder about all of the kids that we were/are privelaged to photograph over the years, and how many of them obliged a smile for the camera but were secretly torn apart inside. I wonder if our images remind them of who they wish they could be... a smiling, happy person, instead of hurt/confused/angry. I wonder if someone would have spent just another minute with this girl, or asked the hard questions... could have it made a difference?
    Jodi and I love high school kids... they are the most vibrant, lively, full of hope individuals on the planet. Of course, not all high schoolers are hurting, in fact most of them probably aren't. They have plans for the future of what they want to become. They have no limits to what they can accomplish...what they can do. We consider it an honor to stand with each senior and, for an hour or two, capture that moment in their lives where everything seems to be in their favor.
    But I was made aware this weekend that those who need our help the most are the ones who will probably never say anything.

    To all of those from Mid Prairie High School who are hurting.... we hurt with you.
    Rodney Gehman for all of us at GP

    Labels:

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I do not have the words to express how I am feeling right now after reading this. May the Dear Lord wrap his arms around all of our teens and the ones that surround them everyday!

    And....God Bless you Rodney Gehman.

    10:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How very true that isThe ones that need help the most are probably the ones that never say anything

    4:50 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home